Friday 7 November 2008

32. The End

I’m going to end the blog now. I’m sorry but there’s not enough left of me to sustain the person I want to be.

I’m back in the hospice in Hampstead and I think that’s probably where I’ll stay.
I’m fed now by a constant release of painkillers and anti-sickness drugs – and virtually nothing else – and it’s difficult to be bright and breezy under the circumstances.

I could carry on, I suppose, as the next Steve, but the page would fill up with lists of cancer symptoms, and frankly that’s not something I'd particularly want to read if I were you.

So, I’ll end where I began.

In Blog One, I wrote: “I've got a fantastic wife and kids, superb back-up from friends and family … the pain is tolerable and controllable. I haven't lost my sense of humour ... I've never been scared of living and I'm not afraid of dying ...
So no pity please. I've had a wonderful life - full of fun and warmth and laughter - and blessed by great family and friends, great work, and great adventures ...
Look after yourself and everyone else."

And those are Steve's last words.